Last post, I talked about how to set up WiFi network with Huawei E960 3G router. This post I will tell you how to set up WiFi security for E960. Setting up Huawei E960′s WiFi security can protect your WLAN from illegal data attacking. Here are the illustrations for you. You need to set up security and a password to prevent other users using your broadband when you have your wireless network on.
- In the address field on your Internet browser, type http://192.168.1.1/
- Type “admin” into the Password box and click on the “Login” button
- Select the “Quick Setup” on left side menu
- Click on the “Next” Button
- Click on the “Next” Button (Do not change the “Configure PPP Profile Settings”) Step
- In the SSID field enter the name for your wireless network, if you want to change it from Optus Wireless Broadband. The name you enter will be visible others.
- Select “Enabled” from the drop down list in the SSID Broadcast field, then click on the “Next”
- Press “Next”
- To set up your security password change the encryption mode from “No Encryption” to “WPAPSK” from the drop down menu.
- Enter your chosen password in the box marked “WPA Pre-Shared Key” (8-63 characters) then Press “Next”
• No security means anyone can access your network.
• WPA2-PSK (Pre-Shared Key – PKS) must be 8~63 Characters or 64 digits
• Please write down your chosen password and keep in a safe place
- Press “Finish”, and wait until the Device has saved the changes and press "Continue" Button
Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) uses a pre-shared Shared Key (PSK) to establish the security using an 8 to 63 character password. The PSK may also be entered as a 64 character hexadecimal string.
WPA2 is a primary enhancement over WPA with an inclusion of the AES-CCMP algorithm as a mandatory feature it has a 8 to 63 character password. Both WPA and WPA2 support EAP authentication methods using RADIUS servers and preshared key (PSK) based security.
WEP stands for Wired Equivalency Privacy. WEP protection is better than nothing, though generally not as secure as the more sophisticated WPA-PSK encryption.
Additional Security Enhancements/Suggestions
• Disable your Wi-Fi unless using the Wi-Fi network.
• For advanced Users:
Disable the “SSID Broadcast” after you have connected all your PCs to your Wi-Fi, so that other people nearby cannot see your Wi-Fi connection.